Tuesday 27 May 2008

RECIPE: ORANGE AND POPPY SEED CAKE


I am home again, sick, with every (well nearly – I am exaggerating to get some sympathy) imaginable infection – chest, sinus, throat and ears. The medication that I am on makes me feel like c_ _ p; it leaves a very metalicky taste in my mouth. Mr G very kindly volunteered to make me (I have to admit that I passed enough hints that it would be lovely to have something nice to take the foul taste away!) a cake. I opted for the orange poppy seed.

This recipe is from a colleague, Sue T. She baked it for morning tea one Friday and it was a hit. Trust me, you’d like it too. Have a go.

Ingredients
250g butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 whole oranges, blended
185g yoghurt
½ cup milk
(I substituted the yoghurt and milk with a 300ml carton of sour cream)
4 Tablespoons poppy seeds
3 cups SR flour

Method
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time.
Blend oranges (whole in a blender, yes skin and all) then mix in sour cream and poppy seeds.
Combine oranges with creamed mixture then stir in flour until well combined.
Bake at 160 degrees (Fan forced oven) for about 1 hour.
(Ice with lemon icing – icing mixture, butter, lemon juice and water)

No comments: