Wednesday 15 April 2009

RECIPE: COCONUT GINGER PRAWNS AND SQUID WITH LEMON GRASS CURRY (UDANG DAN SOTONG MASAK LEMAK DAUN SERAI)


I love seafood, especially prawns, squid and crabs. The sweetness of the coconut milk and the spices used in this dish truly enhances the taste of seafood. The original recipe calls for prawns only but I added squid this time. If desired, you may also add any firm fish pieces to the curry.

If using prawns only, increase the weight to 1 kg to compensate for the ingredients.


Ingredients

500 g green prawns in shell – peeled and shells/heads reserved
500 g cleaned fresh squid
5 cm fresh GINGER – sliced into thin strips (see my GLOSSARY post on GINGER)
3 tbsp Veg oil
3 stalks LEMON GRASS – bottom 1/3 only, hard outer layer removed and the stalks bruised (see my GLOSSARY post on LEMON GRASS)
5 whole kaffir lime leaves
1 cup water
1 cup thick COCONUT MILK (I used tinned COCONUT MILK) (see my GLOSSARY post on COCONUT MILK)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Grind the following:
5 cm fresh TURMERIC or 1 tsp TURMERIC powder (see my GLOSSARY post on TURMERIC)
8 cm fresh GINGER (see my GLOSSARY post on GINGER)
8 finger-length red fresh chillies
10 shallots or 2 large red onions
10 cloves garlic

Method

Heat oil in a pot and add in the ground ingredients. Cook for 2 mins and add in the prawn heads and shells, lemon grass and lime leaves.

When the shells turn pink, add in 1 cup of water and simmer for 5 mins. Then add in the coconut milk and simmer on low heat, uncovered, for 10 mins. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove from heat and strain the curry. Discard all the solids and return the curry to the pot and onto the fire. Add in the prawns, squid and sliced ginger and cook until the seafood is done. Serve immedietly with rice and side dishes of vegetables such as STIR FRIED PAK CHOY AND WOMBOK and salad such as CUCUMBER, TOMATOES AND ONION SALAD (recipes to follow in the next few days).

NOTE: You may also add some firm fish pieces to the dish or make this dish with prawns only.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice clicks.. delicious..

Zue Murphy said...

I like squid, shrimp and this dish is my kind of meal. BTW, what is WOMBOK?

VG said...

Thank you Priya.

Zue, wombok is the chinese name for chinese cabbage or aka Napa cabbage in the USA.

lubnakarim06 said...

Oh wow droolworthy pics...

Cas said...

That was a nice dish.
tasted really good.
thanks mum

Kana said...

I adore sotong and udang - awesome with a plate of rice!

inahar ali said...

dear VG..do come over to my house..a special award 4 u..awaiting!

Salt N Turmeric said...

I jealous tengok sotong you gebu2. Must be the type that you get there coz here theyr pretty small. lol.

VG said...

Thank you Lubna.

You are welcome 'meri soni beti'.

Maya, I too cannot resist sotong and udang...he!he!

Thank you so much for the award Inahar. I will be over shortly to collect. Kiss, Kiss, Hug, Hug.

Thank you Farina. Yes I am lucky that my fish monger stock quality seafood...also I think it is the musim too and the species you get here.

Takpe, kalau you visit me, I make sure I buat lauk sotong for you!!!