Wednesday 20 May 2009

ANNOUNCEMENT: “MY HOUSEHOLD CAPERS!” IS ONE TODAY!


I can’t believe that it has been one year today since I started blogging…..and with a total of 477 posts and 222 different recipes!!! Did I really cook and eat all these different foods? My oh my, I must have. I can’t believe it.

This reminds me of a question a friend once asked me - whether I live to eat or eat to live. My answer….both. I enjoy food and take pride in eating and cooking good food. Imagine how boring life would be without different cuisines. It would be like eating only vanilla ice cream – no chocolate, butterscotch, strawberry etc flavoured ice creams. How palate less. But that does not mean that there can’t be ‘vanilla ice cream’ days? Or even ‘Maggi 2 minute noodle’ or ‘toast and cuppa soup’ days. There has been many a time where I have been guilty of serving or eating this for dinner. But what I don’t think I could survive with is a food roster – Monday is pasta night, Tuesday is bangers and mash, ham steaks for Wednesdays etc, etc. And then there’s those who would only eat the same food. I knew someone that cooked only lentils and chicken curry day in and day out (but had the audacity to complain about the food that they ate elsewhere – Go figure!). It’s bad enough having other aspects of our life regimented without having food and meals succumb to the same fate!!

And, I don’t believe in being a food snob – one that would not experiment or eat food of different cuisines. But what annoys me the most when it comes to food are those who either salt and pepper, or pour tomato sauce or chilli sauce all over their food even before tasting. This to me is the biggest insult ever…..to the food and the cook.

I do however draw the line on eating certain meats and animal parts – this is a personal thing but I don’t begrudge or go all ‘icky’ if someone liked chicken feet or ate beef or lamb liver, ox tail, crumbed brains etc. My parents enjoy chicken feet, Mr G loves his lamb fry and bacon and my S-I-L loves crumbed brains but I don’t carry on and on just because they do. Eating chicken feet does not make one less sophisticated or barbaric….and neither does eating caviar make you cultured….yes, people pay top dollar for caviar….even though all they are eating is fish roe (fish eggs and sperm). And then, there are those who enjoy a snail or two when most of us consider it to be a garden pest! The adage, ‘one man’s meat is another man’s poison’ fits very well here.

Having gone on my high horse on the topic of food, I would also like to acknowledge that it is estimated that 36 million people die of hunger and malnutrition, with 6 million of those being children (source: Wikipedia). So remember, the next time you throw or waste food, there would be 36 million people happy to receive those scraps. Therefore, waste not, want not.

Now back to my blog…..Pity I fell short of the 500 posts mark. Maybe this is something I should aspire to for my second birthday :P

Anyway, thank you so much to all my friends and blogging mates…..without your support, I would not have started and continued to blog…..you have definitely made it an enjoyable year. So, here’s to the next 12 months……Cheers.


zwani.com myspace graphic comments

6 comments:

ICook4Fun said...

Happy 1st Birthday to My Household Carpers!! Looking forward to more of your yummy posting.

Charmaine said...

Happy Birthday to your blog! Keep the good work going... looking forward to more delicious food!

lubnakarim06 said...

Belated birthday wishes to the chweet blog.....Keep rocking...

VG said...

Thanks guys. Much appreciate your support.

Family First said...

In no way would I have known that your blog is only one year old! I thot you have been blogging for ages! Congrats! Its a really lovely blog and good job!

VG said...

Thank you Jo....No, I am only a novice at this. It's friends like you that make it fun to blog.