Tuesday 5 August 2008

RECIPE: CHAR HOR FUN


I am back from my trip but unfortunately I have to go away again tomorrow; thankfully it is only a day trip, so I will be able to sleep in my own bed!

Anyway, before I left last week, I made Char Hor Fun, one of my favourite noodle dishes. To ensure a good result, only cook one or two serves at a time. This is how I make my Hor Fun.

Ingredients – Serves 2
2 large handfuls broad rice noodles
1 medium size chicken breasts - sliced into strips
Handful of beef – sliced into strips
6 large prawns
½ fish cake – sliced thinly
2 cups chicken stock
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 to 2 cups water
1 egg – lightly beaten
2 tbsp (or more) light soy sauce
2 tbsp oil
1 bunch choy sum – cut into 5 cm lengths
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Method
Put about 2 tbsp of oil into wok and stir fry 1/2 of the chopped garlic. Add noddles and coat with light soy sauce. (NOTE: How much soy sauce you want depends on your preference for the Hor Fun colour. If you like it dark, you can also add 1 tsp dark soy sauce.) Remove from wok unto a serving dish or individual plates.

Place the rest of the oil into wok and stir fry the rest of the garlic. Add the chicken stock and water and add the chicken breasts and beef. Poach until the meat is cooked. Next add in the prawns, fish cake and choy sum. Bring to a boil, stir in the egg, season with salt and pepper and quickly turn off the heat. Pour the gravy mixture over noodles. Serve immediately with sliced bird’s eye chillies in soy sauce or pickled green chillies.

5 comments:

ICook4Fun said...

Welcome home VG. Hope you had a good trip. We call this dish 'Wat Tan Hor' and my fav to cook for lunch with plenty of 'sawi'

Tina Butler said...

I dont know what this dish is but it looks wonderful. I am always open for new foods. My husband he never adventures out but its so fun to try different cultures of food. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Bhawana said...

A surprise for you in my blog :). Check it.

MamaFaMi said...

Your Char Hor Fun must be really tasty judging from the ingredients, chicken, beef, prawns... heaven! The broad rice noodles, is it kue tiau?

VG said...

Tks Gert; Good to be home. I will reply to your mail soon. Is Char Hor Fun the wrong name then? Or is it also known as Wat Tan Hor?

Tina, it is rice noodles cooked with chicken stock. It is really yummy and not spicy. I am sure your hubby would like it.

Bhawana, thanks for the award. I love it.

Mamafami, yes I used 'block' fresh kuey teow and I cut it up according to size. You could use the normal fresh kuey teow if you like.

:) VG