Sunday 28 September 2008

RECIPE: MUSHROOM AND BACON QUICHE


I always get a bit ‘apprehensive’ when I have to make pastry because I am afraid that my pastry might not hold. Are you the same? Well don’t be with this recipe. The first time I tried this, it came out perfect so if I can do it, anyone can. And Mr G did not help me at all - and he is the pastry king….pathetic isn’t it when your husband can make better pastry that you! *sob sob*. So if you are interested in making quiche, this recipe won’t disappoint.

For those of you who don’t eat pork, I am sure you can substitute the bacon with chicken – just dice and fry the chicken in 2 tsp of oil. I believe that should be sufficient. Here’s the recipe.

Ingredients

Pastry:
135 g plain flour
100 g grated cheddar cheese
125 g butter

Filling:
250 g streaky bacon – chopped
200 g mushrooms – sliced thinly
15 g butter
3 eggs
250 ml milk or single cream
125 ml sour cream
15 ml lemon juice
2 to 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1.2 tsp mustard powder
1.2 tsp salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp chopped fresh or ½ tsp dried mixed herbs


Method

Pastry:
Mix all ingredients to a soft pastry in a food processor. Press into a 23 cm quiche dish and set aside.

Filling:
Fry bacon, without any oil, until crisp. Remove and set aside.
In the same pan, add in the butter and sauté mushrooms until the mushrooms have absorbed the butter. Add in the bacon, mix well and spoon the mixture onto the quiche base. Spread evenly.


In a large jug, beat the eggs, milk/single cream, sour cream and lemon juice until well combined. Add in the parmesan, salt, pepper and mixed herbs. Pour into the quiche dish and bake in a preheated 160°C oven for 45 mins.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

wow... looks nice & delicious.. thxs for sharing..

VG said...

Hi Srikars...thank you and you are welcome.

ICook4Fun said...

Vg, I just made this on Thursday but I added spinach and roast chicken to it :)

vandana rajesh said...

Hi first time here nice blog...yummy quiche...will definitely give it a try.

VG said...

Hi Gert

Chicken and spinach? Yum. I have to try that version.

VG said...

Hi Vandana

Thanks for visiting. I noticed that you have quite an extensive blog list. Good job. Will be checking them out.

If you try the quiche, please let me know how you go...feedback is always good.

Hope to 'see' you soon.

tigerfish said...

Look at those ingredients.....it must be a delicious quiche :)

VG said...

Hi Tigerfish

Thanks for visiting and yes, the quiche is delicious, if I may say so ;)

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried making cheese? It would be a fun adventure!