Wednesday 3 September 2008

RECIPE: THAI STYLE PINEAPPLE FRIED RICE


Presentation is every thing for this easy to prepare dish. In my opinion, the casing of the pineapple not only adds to the aesthetics of the dish but also the flavour. This is another instalment of my STOP FOOD WASTE Campaign using pineapples.

Ingredients
1 pineapple – slice the pineapple lengthways (not half but more 1/3 to the top) to make a base and a lid. Cut 1 cup of the pineapple into cubes for the dish
4 tbsp peanut oil
4 cups cooked rice
1 cup diced ham
1 cup diced bacon
3 cloves – chopped
½ cup raisins or sultanas
3 tbsp curry powder
¼ cup chicken stock – I used ¼ tsp chicken stock powder diluted in ¼ cup of water
Salt and pepper to taste – I mix this into the cooked rice

Method
Heat oil in a wok and fry the garlic, ham and bacon until the bacon is golden. Then add all the ingredients except the rice and sultanas and cook for 2 mins. Next add the sultanas, mix well and add in the rice. Toss the rice well so it is well coated with all the ingredients.

Turn off the heat and fill the pineapple with the rice. Cover with the pineapple ‘lid’ and bake in a 140°C oven for 30 mins. Serve hot with a side dish of crushed peanuts.


FYI: If you don't eat pork, you could subsitute the bacon and ham with small prawns.

3 comments:

Bhawana said...

di you are making me crazy by posting so many nice recipes... as of now I have 8 recipes from ur blod which I need to try. need to mail u too.

check my blog. There is something for you :).

Jun said...

my fav ...selalu order ni when outing sbb kalau masak kt rumah, my dotter x suke plak..heee.

VG said...

Hi Bhawana

Glad to hear that you like my food. I am honoured. Let me know how you go cooking it. And thank you so much for the awards. I am really touched. And yes, you owe me an e-mail, he!he!

Hi Jun

I know what you mean...re kids...ada yang suka ini, yang tak suka itu...pening kepala Vin mereka buat.My motto, tak suka jangan makan and don't ask for anything else! But it doesn't work, does yet??? As usual,I melt and give in!