Sunday 15 June 2008

RECIPE: MR G'S FEATHERLITE SCONES (RECIPE STOLEN FROM HIS NANA G)


Mr G is famous for his scones and between his sister’s sylvan berry jam and the scones, they are to die for. Even his mum and sister reckon that his scones are better than theirs (please don’t make a liar of me Aunty L!). What he uses for his scones is cream instead of milk. His only complaint about his scones (but I don’t know any better so I can't vouch for it) is that it would taste even better if it was cooked on a wood stove. Sorry, but I grew up with electric or gas stoves so I don’t really know what he is talking about. But I have eaten wood fired pizzas (at Australian Pizza Kitchen in Woden, ACT) and they are tastier than ordinary pizza so I guess I can see his point here.

This is how he makes his plain scones. I will put his recipe for fruit scones when he makes it next. Happy trying!

2 cups SR Flour
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter
1 cup cream (or 1 cup milk)
Extra milk for glazing

Method
Preheat oven to 210°c.

Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Add sugar and distribute well in the flour.

Rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add in cream to form a soft dough.

Knead lightly on a floured surface and form into a square 3 cm thick. Cut into 16 equal squares and placed on floured or baking paper lined (ungreased) baking tray.

Brush tops of scones with some milk and bake for 12 to 15 mins (you may want to check them at the 10 min mark because of oven differences).

Serve hot with butter or with jam and whipped cream.

Tip: we always have some long life cream in the pantry. During summer, I suggest you store it in the fridge.

No comments: