Wednesday 4 June 2008

DVD REVIEW: SAAWARIYA AND RACE (HINDI)



Yes, I am home again, with the flu (and I had my flu jab too). So I have spent my time either in bed asleep or watching DVDs. I actually ordered some movies from Bollywood Quarter last week to watch over the long weekend this week but I ended up watching them in the last two days.

I buy my Hindi movies on line and only originals. You can get pirated ones from some Indian grocery shops but I don't because one, it is illegal and two, because once you watch original DVDs which are clear and great, you would not want to watch pirated copies. But each to their own, I say.

‘Saawariya’ or Beloved is a musical (yes, it has more music than your average Bollywood movie) love story starring Salman Khan and Rani Mukerji (in minor roles but still very essential roles for the story). Basically the movie is the launching pad for two newcomers, Ranbir Kapoor, son of Rishi Kapoor (of Bobby fame) and Neetu Singh; and Sonam Kapoor, daughter of Anil Kapoor.

The movie is very much in the style of Baz Lurhmann’s Moulin Rouge, except where Baz uses lots of red hues in his movie, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, the director (of Devdas Fame) uses lots of blue. The movie is based on Fyodor Dostoevsky’s short story, “White Nights”.

It is a poignant love story and you will feel for the characters, but for the constant music. In my opinion, I believe that this movie loses its message because of the music. You be the judge. 3 stars from me.

‘Race’ on the other hand is an action packed thriller that has more twist than a Hitchcock movie. It is well written, actored and the songs are lovely. Race is not about car or horse racing, but is about the race or competition between two half brothers, the elder being Saif Ali Khan and the younger, Akshaye Khanna. Bipasha Basu and Katrina Kaif (who has come a long way since her earlier movies – she can actually act now!) compliment the brothers in the movie and Anil Kapoor provides some comic relief to what is a very fast paced movie. If you are a Bollywood fan, you’d enjoy ‘Race’. The songs are great too! 4 stars from me for the movie and songs, especially 'Zara zara touch me'.

PS: I do not receive commisions for my reviews. Maybe I should!

No comments: