Monday 9 June 2008

RECIPE: STIR FRIED CHICKEN AND BASIL THAI STYLE (GAI PAD GRA POW)


Today we decided to have Thai. I was going to make some Tom Yam as well with the dish but as I came home a bit late from work and the kids were complaining from hunger pains, I just made some wombok soup and stir fried bean sprouts with tofu (there was some left over fresh tofu in the fridge). This is how I make the chicken.

Ingredients
750g chicken meat or mince – I used chicken thigh meat today
7-8 bird’s eye chillies – halved
1 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp fish sauce (I used Squid Brand Thai Fish sauce)
4 cloves garlic – minced
1 bunch/packet Thai holy basil or normal basil (the taste will differ according to the type of basil used – today I used normal basil which I purchased from Coles) – leaves picked and stems discarded.
2 tbsp veg oil

Method
Heat oil in wok and fry garlic and chillies until garlic turns golden. Add in chicken.

Fry until the chicken is cooked. If the chicken releases plenty of juices, cook until the liquid evaporates.

Add in sugar and fish sauce. Mix well. Now add in the basil leaves. Stir until the leaves have wilted. Lift and serve hot with rice and a side dish of Chilli Fish Sauce.

In a bowl, mix together:
· 2-3 bird’s eye chilli – chopped
· 1 shallot (not spring onion) – sliced thinly (substitute with half a brown onion)
· Enough fish sauce to cover the onion
· 1 tsp lime juice
Below: Fried Bean Sprouts with Tofu

No comments: